Virginia Tech®home

Academic Advising

Insert your title here

COVID-19 updates related to advising

Your academic advisor is available to support you remotely throughout the summer; the CNRE Advising Center will not be offering in-person or walk-in appointments. To schedule a remote advising appointment, please use Navigate and indicate in the “Appointment Comments” your preferred mode of appointment: video conference or phone call. To schedule a phone appointment, make sure you include your preferred contact number. You can also communicate with your advisor by email.

Meet your partners for academic success

The Advising Center is the hub of student support for the college. This is where you can get answers to questions and practical advice about everything from choosing courses to applying for scholarships. The staff of the Advising Center will be here for you when your academic progress is steady — and if you hit a rocky patch on the trail. Already know who your advisor is? Access Navigate to schedule an appointment.

When to see your advisor

A young student talking with her advisor.

It’s important to stay in contact with your advisor. To ensure that you get the most out of this partnership, your advisor needs to know your successes and challenges, and how they can help. See your advisor when you need assistance with:

How to submit a form electronically

All forms require a FERPA passcode. If you do not have your own FERPA passcode, you will need to create one using the step-by-step guide. Please note that you will only need to create your passcode one time; you can use it throughout your academic career at Virginia Tech.

DocuSign forms

Most Advising Center forms can be submitted online through DocuSign. Students can initiate these forms by clicking on the form in the list on this page and entering their name and email where prompted. Once a form is completed and signed, the form will use the information supplied to route it to the appropriate individuals via email for electronic signatures.

Other forms

Forms not currently available through DocuSign are available in the list on this page as fillable PDFs that can then be emailed. Please follow these instructions when submitting PDF forms:

  1. Open the form you wish to complete; download and save the form before typing your responses.
  2. Complete and save the form.
  3. Open a new message in your VT email account.
    • You must include your FERPA passcode in the body of your email.
    • Do not include your student ID number in the form or in the subject line or body of the email. Your advisor will add your ID number upon receipt.
    • Digital signatures will be accepted, as will scanned signatures and/or email confirmation statements from VT email addresses (e.g., “I agree to the terms in the attached form; please accept this email as a signature.”).
  4. Send your completed form as an email attachment from your VT email account per the instructions on the form.

Advising and registration FAQs

Course substitutions are approved on a case-by-case basis. If you would like to request a course substitution, talk with your academic advisor and then fill out the course substitution form.

During the first six weeks of the semester, you can drop a course via Hokie SPA.

After the drop deadline, consider applying the “W” grade policy, which allows you to withdraw from up to three courses throughout your time at Virginia Tech. The deadline to withdraw from a course is usually the last day of classes for the semester (before Reading Day).

Make sure you schedule an appointment with your advisor to discuss the pros and cons of withdrawing, as well as your plan for re-taking the course.  During this appointment, you can also fill out a course withdrawal form.    

When a class is full, the only way you can add it is by “force-adding.”  To do so, you must have permission from the department offering the class or the instructor.

Some departments have specific force-add procedures. If the department does not have its own procedure, then contact the instructor of the class. If he or she agrees to add you to the class, you must get that instructor’s signature on a force-add form.

Once the instructor signs the form, submit it to the department for processing (for example, if it is a PSYC class, turn the form in to the Psychology Department). You do not need your advisor to sign the form.    

If you are taking courses elsewhere, you must fill out the Authorization of Transfer Credit Form.

You will need to check the Transfer Equivalency Database to see whether any courses have transferred from the institution in the past. Regardless of whether a course is listed, submit the Authorization of Transfer Credit Form so your advisor can can confirm whether the course is equivalent to a Virginia Tech offering and, thus, transferable.

Please be aware that grades do not transfer, only credit hours. Also, you must earn a grade of C or better for the credits to transfer to Virginia Tech.

See the information on our Change Majors page.

See the information on our Change Majors page.

See the information on our Change Majors page.

DARS is short for Degree Audit Report System. A DARS report will show you which graduation requirements you have completed and which requirements you still need to complete.

Before you can runs a DARS report, however, you must apply for your degree in the first semester of your junior year (or when you have earned 60 credit hours). To apply for your degree, go to Hokie SPA and click on the “Degree Menu.” Then enter when you plan to graduate and your major(s), option(s), and minor(s), if applicable.

After applying for your degree, you can request a DARS report in the same degree menu. Once you have your report, you should review it with your advisor. It is important to request a new DARS report at least once a semester or whenever something changes.

If you are not yet eligible to apply for your degree, you can run a “what if” DARS report. This is a hypothetical DARS report based on any major you choose. You can find the “what if” DARS in the same degree menu.

Students who earn at least a 3.4 GPA while taking 12 or more credit hours attempted are named to the dean’s list. Pass/fail hours do not count toward dean’s list eligibility, and dean’s list honors are not extended to summer sessions. Students who are named to the dean’s list will be notified via email.

Once you reach junior standing (or have earned 60 credit hours), you should apply for your degree. To do so, go to Hokie SPA and click on the “Degree Menu.” Then enter when you plan to graduate and your major(s), option(s), and minor(s), if applicable.