We’ll help you find the path to your perfect career
Kirsten White’s decision to join the Peace Corps began with the knowledge that she wanted to go into the environmental field. Through a series of defining moments that included learning about conservation and ecological restoration in New Zealand, to the yearlong personal exploration offered through the Leadership Institute, she feels secure about the next stop on her career journey.
Wherever this path may take her, she goes knowing that it was her time in the College of Natural Resources and Environment that paved the way: “Everything I’ve done and everyone I’ve met have played a role in helping me get to this point.”
You can take advantage of the same opportunities. In CNRE, you’ll receive guidance from professors and advisors, find opportunities for building job skills, and start building career networks for success.
Start your career planning
It’s never too early to get started on preparing for your career, whether it’s thinking about a summer internship or starting to investigate full-time job opportunities for after graduation.
Get started by learning what’s available in CNRE and through Career and Professional Development.
Are you an employer? We want to partner with you!
The college is committed to building strong relationships with our forest industry and natural resources partners. As a central point of contact, John Freeborn, director of employer relations, assists employers with recruiting students for internships and other career opportunities, arranges campus visits, and provides information about campus resources. John also coordinates the annual CNRE Career Fair.
Contact John at at 540-231-1138 or email@example.com.
Take a job on a test run with an internship
Internships are great ways to see if a career is the right fit, learn real-world job skills, and connect with a potential future employer. In fact, a Michigan State University study found that employers tend to hire about 50 percent of interns as full-time employees.
Whether you intern at New Hampshire’s Mount Washington Observatory or stay closer to campus by working with the Virginia Water Monitoring Council, you’ll set yourself up for career success.
Employers at the career fair
The annual CNRE Career Fair takes place each fall in Cassell Coliseum. More information will be available, including a link to the registration site, closer to the date of the event. In 2019, more than 40 employers/organizations attended.
- Allegheny Wood Products, Inc.
- American Forest Management, Inc.
- Arclin USA LLC
- Bartlett Tree Experts
- BCI (Buckeye Courragted, Inc.)
- Blue Ridge Scout Reservation
- BrightView Landscape Services
- Canfor Southern Pine
- Career and Professional Development
- Carolina Container LLC
- Davey Resource Group
- Dominion Energy
- Eastman Performance Films
- Environmental Consultants (ECI)
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- Gelbert, Fullbright & Randolph Forestry Consultants
- Hancock Forest Management
- International Paper - Franklin, VA
- International Paper - Charlotte, NC
- ISK Biocides
- Moorhead Brothers, Inc
- Newell Brands
- North Carolina Forest Service
- Packaging Corporation of America
- Resource Management Service, LLC
- Richmond International Forest Products
- RTEC Treecare
- Ruppert Landscape
- SOLitude Lake Management
- Timbco LLC
- Truetimber Arborists, Inc.
- U.S. Forest Service
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
- Virginia Department of Forestry
- Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries
- Virginia State Parks