We’ll help you find the path to your perfect career
Finding a career that brings meaning to your life and can help impact the lives of others is often a process. Our goal in CNRE is to provide you with the experiences that will become the defining moments of your career journey, like visiting Washington, D.C. while completing an internship with the Virginia Water Resources Research Center.
Ross Cooper and Nizhoni Tallas used their internships to explore how water informs environmental justice issues and attended a meeting of national water leaders. “To come back to the Hill as someone nearing a bachelor’s degree in water was a great experience. Nizhoni and I were the only two interns at the meeting, so we were able to talk with them about our research and make some useful connections,” Cooper recalled.
You can take advantage of the same opportunities. In CNRE, you’ll receive guidance from professors and advisors, find opportunities for building success skills, and start building career networks for success.
Start your career planning
It’s never too early to get started on preparing for your career, whether it’s thinking about a summer internship or starting to investigate full-time job opportunities for after graduation.
Get started by learning what’s available in CNRE and through Career and Professional Development.
Are you an employer? We want to partner with you!
The college is committed to building strong relationships with our forest industry and natural resources partners. As a central point of contact, John Freeborn, director of employer relations, assists employers with recruiting students for internships and other career opportunities, arranges campus visits, and provides information about campus resources. John also coordinates the annual CNRE Career Fair.
Contact John at at 540-231-1138 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take a job on a test run with an internship
Internships are great ways to see if a career is the right fit, learn real-world job skills, and connect with a potential future employer. In fact, a Michigan State University study found that employers tend to hire about 50 percent of interns as full-time employees.
CNRE students have helped set themselves up for career success by interning at locations ranging from the Baltimore/Washington Office of the National Weather Service to the Harvard Forest in Pelham, Massachusetts.
Want to learn more? Watch our videos and hear firsthand from students about what their internship experiences were like.
Employers at the career fair
The annual CNRE Career Fair takes place each fall. More information will be available, including a link to the registration site, closer to the date of the event. In 2019, more than 40 employers/organizations attended.
- Allegheny Wood Products, Inc.
- American Forest Management, Inc.
- Arclin USA LLC
- Bartlett Tree Experts
- BCI (Buckeye Courragted, Inc.)
- Blue Ridge Scout Reservation
- BrightView Landscape Services
- Canfor Southern Pine
- Career and Professional Development
- Carolina Container LLC
- Davey Resource Group
- Dominion Energy
- Eastman Performance Films
- Environmental Consultants (ECI)
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- Gelbert, Fullbright & Randolph Forestry Consultants
- Hancock Forest Management
- International Paper - Franklin, VA
- International Paper - Charlotte, NC
- ISK Biocides
- Moorhead Brothers, Inc
- Newell Brands
- North Carolina Forest Service
- Packaging Corporation of America
- Resource Management Service, LLC
- Richmond International Forest Products
- RTEC Treecare
- Ruppert Landscape
- SOLitude Lake Management
- Timbco LLC
- Truetimber Arborists, Inc.
- U.S. Forest Service
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
- Virginia Department of Forestry
- Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries
- Virginia State Parks