Congratulations CNRE graduates
If you’re reading this page, it means you’ve made it. You and your classmates have spent countless hours listening to lectures, riding in vans, learning to Zoom, chasing tornados, and so much more to earn a Virginia Tech degree. Be proud of yourself and your accomplishments — we sure are.
At the College of Natural Resources and Environment Commencement, we want to celebrate you and your accomplishments and honor your contributions to the college. We’ll be doing it all in Lane Stadium, so there will be plenty of room for your family and friends. But if they can’t come to Blacksburg, the ceremony will be livestreamed.
Please join us for the CNRE Commencement on Thursday, May 11, at 3:30 p.m. to celebrate the best of what it means to be a Hokie: you.
Thank you for celebrating with CNRE!
We hope you had a great time celebrating your graduation with friends and faculty at the Graduation Celebration on April 20. Make sure you check out the photos and learn how to get involved as an alum.
University Commencement information
The University Commencement Ceremony will take place on Friday, May 12, 2023. Visit the Virginia Tech Commencement site to learn more about the ceremonies, parking, on-campus lodging for guests, ADA services, and more.
CNRE Commencement information
The College of Natural Resources and Environment Commencement will begin at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 11, 2023 in Lane Stadium. Please read the information below carefully to ensure you have the proper regalia and arrive on time for the event.
Undergraduate diplomas will be mailed to graduating students 10-12 weeks after the ceremony. Please update your diploma mailing address in HokieSpa.
Cap and gown requirements
All graduates participating in commencement ceremonies must wear a cap and gown. Regalia is available for purchase at the University Bookstore and the Volume Two Bookstore.
Information about the CNRE ceremony for graduates
- Parking is available in the following lots: Stadium Lot/Lot 2, Maintenance Lot/Lot 3, or Chicken Hill Lot/Lot 5. Parking in any other lot will require the posted parking permit.
- Plan to arrive one hour before the ceremony begins; students arriving later than 15 minutes after the ceremony begins will not be permitted to enter.
- Your arrival location is the Southwest Tunnel in the South End Zone (located near the corner of Beamer Way and Stadium Lot/Lot 2, between gates 2 and 3).
- Make sure you are wearing your graduation regalia. You’ll need to have your regalia unzipped for security checks when you enter the stadium.
- Remember that a clear bag policy is enforced at Lane Stadium.
- When you enter, make sure you pick up a card and pencil to write down your name as you want it to be read.
- You’ll be directed to find a seat as there will be no procession. Please fill seats from the front to the back; volunteers will be available to assist with seating.
- You are encouraged to bring a factory-sealed bottle of water.
Directions for walking across the stage
- You will be asked to stand and come forward by row.
- Go toward the stage and hand your card to the volunteer. They will hand your card to the name reader.
- When the reader calls your name, cross the stage.
- You will be directed to the side area of the stage for a photo.
- You’ll then return to your seat to listen to closing remarks.
Directions for guests
- Guest parking is available in the following lots: Stadium Lot/Lot 2, Maintenance Lot/Lot 3, or Chicken Hill Lot/Lot 5. Parking in any other lot will require the posted parking permit.
- Guests will enter through Gates 2, 3, and 4.
- You can sit anywhere you like; it is general seating.
- Remember that a clear bag policy is enforced for Lane Stadium. Approved bags:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC and do not exceed 12″ x 6″ x 12″.
- One-gallon clear plastic storage bag (Ziploc bag or similar).
- Small clutch bag approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap and no larger than 4.5″ x 6.5″. Wallets must also conform to this size requirement.
- All graduation ceremonies will take place rain or shine!
- In the event of hot weather, there will be misting fans on the field and bottled water will be available.
- In the event of inclement weather, ponchos will be available for graduates, volunteers, and the stage party.
- If there is lightning within an eight-mile radius, the stadium will be cleared; shelter will be available in the tunnels and concourse or people will be directed to return to their vehicles.
- If there is a weather delay of more than 30 minutes, the program will be adjusted. If there is a two-hour or longer delay, the ceremony is canceled and will not be rescheduled.
Questions about the CNRE commencement ceremony? Contact Cathy Barker, Student Services Coordinator, at email@example.com or 540-231-3486. If you’re in Cheatham Hall, you can also stop by her office in Room 138.
Below are some additional links that you may find helpful as you make plans for commencement.