Virginia Tech®home

How to Apply

Apply for admission to Virginia Tech

If you are interested in being a part of the College of Natural Resources and Environment, your first step is to apply for admission to the university. Check out the resources below to get started.


Scholarship tip

You must apply for admission to Virginia Tech before you can apply for scholarships. Make sure you meet all deadlines in order to receive maximum consideration for aid.

Freshman applicants

Prospective undergraduate students apply for admission through the Virginia Tech Office of Admissions. Admission is competitive, so pay careful attention to all deadlines and requirements. Also, if you are interested in a major in CNRE, make sure you list this program as your first choice major when you apply.

Already admitted and planning to attend? Then we’ll see you on campus for First-Year Orientation, where you’ll register for your first semester of classes, get your Hokie Passport ID card, connect with your new classmates, and more!

Graduate applicants

If you are looking for the chance to continue studying what you are most passionate about and collaborate with a top faculty member in your field, CNRE is the place. We offer traditional master’s and doctoral programs, as well as flexible options for earning a master of natural resources degree in the Greater Washington, D.C., metro area, including both an online program and an executive program.

Being a successful graduate student requires intensive study and, often, original research, so delve into your options to make sure it’s the right path for you. It’s also important to connect with the graduate program coordinator to learn about special requirements. For programs on the Blacksburg campus, you should talk with a faculty member in your intended area of study to learn about research and funding availability.

Transfer students

Sometimes it takes a little more time and effort to find the college that’s right for you. Virginia Tech welcomes transfer students, but there are some requirements and policies that you need to be aware of if you are planning to complete your degree as a Hokie.

The College of Natural Resources and Environment recommends that students transfer after one year of study, and you’ll want to choose courses that fulfill the first-year requirements for your intended major. In general, students should complete a full year of freshman English, at least eight credit hours of the lab sciences required for your major, and two semesters of upper-level math (pre-calculus or above). You’ll also need a GPA of 3.0 or better.

Need help choosing your transfer courses? Contact the CNRE Advising Center.