CNRE Commencement Information
CNRE Commencement ceremony will be at the Moss Arts Center at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 13, 2017.
Cap and Gown Requirements
All graduates participating in the academic process and the commencement ceremonies must wear a cap and gown. Regalia for students are now on sale at the on-campus and Volume II bookstores.
Students Arrival for Line-up
Students will enter through the Moss Arts Center entrance facing McDonalds.
You need to be there by 7:30 a.m. for line-up and instructions.
Instructions for line-up on Saturday
- Line-up begins at 7:30 a.m. in the hallway of Moss Arts Center (enter through McDonalds’ side door). There will be a sign on the door. Go down the stairs.
- You must wear a cap, gown, tassel and footwear.
- Line-up is by major. There is a faculty member (marshal) for each department. Departments will be marching in the following order: SBIO, FWC, FREC, GEOG.
- Marshal will hand you two cards and a pencil—Card 1 is for the photographer and has a hole in it; Card 2 is an index card to indicate your position in line by major (card has your major, name and hometown on it).
- Fill in the information requested on Card 1.
- Fill in the job information on the back of Card 2.
- Card 1 goes back to the marshal.
- Card 2 is your ticket to ride. NO CARD—NO DIPLOMA. HANG ON TO IT!!
- We march promptly at 8:30 a.m. Pomp and Circumstance plays.
- Follow the stage party and faculty onto the stage.
- File in seats as directed.
- Listen to speakers.
- By major, you will be asked to stand and come forward.
- Follow your marshal to the podium. Hand line-up card (CARD #2) to marshal.
- Marshal hands card to Dept. Head.
- When Dept. Head calls your name, you cross the stage. Shake hands with Dean Winistorfer as he gives you your diploma packet.
- You will be directed to side stage for photo.
- Go back to the seats.
- Listen to closing remarks.
- Recess to the traditional CNRE send-off.
There are a few handicap parking spaces on the Alumni Mall side of Moss. Dropping someone off in the traffic circle is also an option.
Wheelchair seating is available on 1st floor of Moss and on the 2nd floor mezzanines. There is an elevator to second floor.
Guests enter through the main lobby facing Alumni Mall or off Turner Street. See http://www.icat.vt.edu/facilities. Lobby doors don’t open until 7:30 a.m. Doors to the auditorium open at 8:00 a.m. No strollers are allowed in the auditorium. They can be stored under the stairway in the lobby.
Please note the following items are prohibited for all venues:
- Outside food and drinks (with exception of unopened bottle of water)
- Weapons of any kind
- Wrapped gifts
- Noise makers
Tree Planting immediately following the ceremony.
CNRE Commencement Reception is in the Old Dominion Ballroom on the first floor of Squires Student Center.