What is the Scholarship program?
The Virginia Tech College of Natural Resources and Environment and the Whitehurst family share a commitment to developing the next generation of entrepreneurs for businesses dealing with natural resources. For this purpose, they instituted the Wood Enterprise Institute Entrepreneurial Scholarship program. Every year, the scholarship seeks up to 8 exemplary students who will participate in leadership roles to collaboratively manage the Wood Enterprise Institute (WEI) program.
The scholarship is $500 during the Fall Semester.
Why apply for the WEI Entrepreneurial Scholarship?
- You have a passion for innovation and creativity.
- You are a highly motivated person and you are able to lead people to solve problems.
- You want to build your resume with entrepreneurial leadership experience.
- You need an opportunity to earn independent study, undergraduate research, or honors credits for scholarship activities.
- You want to experience running your own business.
What are the application requirements?
- Junior or Senior class rank for Fall Semester 2015.
- Have leadership experience in professional organizations (e.g. student organizations, charities, sports).
- Be highly motivated and have the ability to work in teams.
- Any VT major with special consideration given to students with skills in leadership, business, engineering, industrial design, graphic arts, and computer technology.
What are expectations for scholarship recipients?
- Attend an overnight problem solving leadership workshop and attend regular skills building sessions to help build an effective Wood Enterprise Institute leadership team.
- Plan and execute an agenda of student entrepreneurial engagement activities.
- Be engaged in student/professional organizations promoting entrepreneurial activities through the Wood Enterprise Institute.
- Mentor students in problem solving activities related to innovation, business planning and entrepreneurial activities.
What is the application procedure?
- Submit a brief (no more than 2 pages) letter explaining your passion for innovation and creativity, your business and entrepreneurial experiences, and how you would like to further develop these experiences through the WEI Scholarship program.
- A résumé.
- Unofficial copy of your VT transcript.
- Submit no later than March 31 each year. Please submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Dr. Earl Kline, Director of the Wood Enterprise Institute, Brooks Forest Products Center (0503), 1650 Research Center Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060.