In service learning courses, students provide a service to meet a community’s needs, helping the community and allowing the students to gain a deeper understanding of course content.
During the 2010-2011 school year, CNRE offered 15 courses that contained a service learning component. Nearly 200 undergraduate and graduate students participated in these classes.
Department of Sustainable Biomaterials:
- Sustainable Nature-Based Enterprises (WOOD 3004 and WOOD 5984)
- Packaging and Material Handling (WOOD 3224)
- Green Building Systems (WOOD 3324)
- VTLean (WOOD 5974)
Department of Geography:
- Appalachian Communities (GEOG 3464)
- Web Mapping (GEOG 5984 and GEOG 5985)
Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation:
- Urban Forestry and Arboriculture (FOR 3354)
- Environmental Interpretation (FOR 3524)
- Environmental Education Service Learning (FOR 3574)
- Agroforestry (FOR 4334)
- Integrated Forest Management Practicum (FOR 4444)
- Urban Forest Management and Policy (FOR 4454 and FOR 5454)
For more information on service learning and other programs that connect students to the community, see VT Engage | The Community Learning Collaborative.